Pages

Saturday, May 10, 2014

The Best Easter of My Young Life

Paşte.

Oh.

My.

Gosh.

Easter in Romania is so amazing.  

So, everything is decorated so beautifully.  Easter eggs here are so ornate.  They are also mostly red.

The Romanians believe that Mary Magdalene had eggs with her when she went to spread news that Christ had risen from the tomb and that he had been resurrected.  The people told her that they would believe her if her eggs turned red.  

And in that moment, they turned red.  

They have this bread called Kürtőskalács which is bread that is cooked over a fire on a stick.  It has this huge hole in the middle of it and it is freaking amazing.  So you know, I had to buy a loaf.  
People here also crack eggs and say, "Hristos a inviat!", followed by, "Adevarat in viat!"
Or for all you English speakers, "Christ has risen", "Yes, he has risen!"  .  Whoever wins the egg crack is said to have luck for the rest of the year.  People will also say this greeting to one another instead of "Good morning" or other things like that.  

We had the chance to go to a midnight mass at the Orthodox cathedral in Centru.  It was a very cool experience.  They give everyone candles and if you can walk all the way home with your candle burning, you will be blessed with a prosperous year.  

On Easter Sunday, I definitely experienced a miracle.  I understood EVERY WORD which as spoken, I even participated in the lessons because I knew what was going on!  Haha!

This Easter, I really appreciated the true meaning of Easter.  Romanians don't commercialize it as Americans do, and it was a great experience.  

I am just so happy and I am grateful for our Savior, Jesus Christ, and the sacrifice he made for us.  

I am sending photos in a separate link, because they are too big of files to send through this email.  

HRISTOS A INVIAT!  ADEVARAT IN VIAT!
-Sora Lee :)  



No comments:

Post a Comment